SERVING IN WEAVERVILLE SINCE 1953
From its humble beginnings in Myrtle Everest’s kitchen to the present campus, First Baptist Church has seen many blessings and changes. In the late 1940’s when Myrtle and family moved to Weaverville, she began holding Sunday School classes around her kitchen table for her four children. Soon, others began to visit them on Sunday mornings. One of the things Myrtle emphasized in addition to sound Bible teaching was missions. They took regular offerings and sent them to the American Board of Missions to the Jews, the Old Fashioned Revival Hour, By-Way Evangelism, and the China Inland Mission.
In 1950 Henry Boyd moved to town and became involved in the work. During the summer he held a Vacation Bible School in the old Scout house across from Lowden park. Under his direction, the little group grew into larger quarters with regular Sunday services in the Veterans’ Hall. At that time the church was called the Union Church. Many others in the community joined the group. In 1952 the group decided it was time to have a pastor and they called Mr. Clarence Jeffers. Then, in August of 1953, they officially organized as the First Baptist Church of Weaverville and voted to apply for fellowship with the California Association of Regular Baptist Churches and the General Association of Regular Baptist Churches.
In 1954 they began making plans to build their own church. Many of the men went to work on the building with material furnished locally. When the basement was completed, the Jeffers family moved in and used the basement as their living quarters. The building was dedicated on Nov.14, 1954 with Rev. Woodrow T. Young as speaker. In Oct. of 1956, a new parsonage was built on the back of the church lot.
In 1957, the church called Pastor Paul Richins to serve. He and his wife, Beverly, remained until 1978. Substantial growth was seen during that time. Considerable emphasis was placed on missions all through the years with a steady increase in the amount of money being sent. In 1977, the church began putting aside funds for a building program that began in 1979.
Following Pastor Richins, Gary Posenjak was called to be pastor in July of 1979. It was during Pastor Gary's tenure that the present sanctuary was built. The building was completed in January of 1981 and was debt free. Pastor Gary and his wife remained until August of 1986.
In August of 1986 David Cook was called to pastor the church. He and his wife Barbara served until August of 1989.
Pastor Ken Hayes was called to serve the church in January of 1990. He, his wife Silvia and family, remained until August 1993.
On January 1, 1994, Pastor Ron Graham, his wife Janelle, and sons Ben and Tim came to Weaverville to serve. They ministered until May 21, 2006.
In March of 2007, Jay Underwood was called to the pulpit of First Baptist Church. He, along with his wife Julie, and 3 children, arrived on June 17th and he officially began his pastorate at FBCW on July 1st. Pastor Jay continues to serve as Pastor at First Baptist Church.
“..being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.” Philippians 1:6